lunes, 9 de diciembre de 2013

Blog 9: How green are you?

I used to learn environmentally friendly practices at school, but now at the university, these things become more “optional” than before. I also haven´t incorporated recycling into my habits, I´ve never been actually quite into that… but it doesn´t mean that I never do that kind of stuff.  I seldom recycle printed material for college and reuse a lot of things (most of the time focus on saving up, but anyway).

I usually "use my legs" instead of a car, because I don´t have one. Years ago I used to ride my bike to go everywhere, but now I´ve stopped using it.

I´ve never joined or supported any kind of eco-organization, because I don´t participate in any kind of organization in general, so it´s nothing personal against it, really.

Another reason is that, even knowing that these organizations objectives are kind, I don´t usually get along with the profile of people integrating them. It´s common to see aggressive, annoying and unpleasant people there (I don´t know why…maybe because they realize about our world´s problem and they feel powerless to solve it on their own ).

I would like to do more things about environmentally friendly practices… I remember that in my house we always participate in those “blackout” ecological days… I think that´s a good idea to help our environment. It´s not that hard, and it´s easy to do (It´s actually not doing much harm by using electricity). The problem there is how to promote it… using the internet and electricity, printing fliers, it´s a little bit contradictory.  

Unfortunately, I haven´t done anything to reduce my carbon footprint, I don´t even know what can I do about it.


In our society, I think we need to focus on what we can do as individuals instead of as a group. This reminds me about some news I watched some days ago on the TV, about how to use eolian energy. 

Some people were using that kind of power source, and they saved a lot of money, helping the environment. Watching it, I thought that we have to do some “ecological” things on our own, because going the ecological way is not convenient to big industries, so they´d never promoted that kind of things. 

It´s just an example, but it can be applied to the main issue: saving resources, and try to stop the unstoppable consumption of them.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario